Friday, February 6, 2009

Knitting, Samantha Brown, and Dog Parks

There's an air of crazy expectation each morning when you're job hunting. What will today bring? Will the phone ring? What if today's the day? You think these things as you're pouring your coffee and putting on your socks and letting the dog out.

My week's been full of resumes and applications and interviews and job leads. Nothing yet. But yesterday, after watching my now-routine hour of Samantha Brown and knitting like a fiend, I put on my shoes and grabbed my keys and took Millicent to the dog park.

Millie, it turns out, adores the dog park. (My friend Marie told me about it, so Millie really has her to thank.) Each time we go, Millie runs and wrestles and plays and gets in the middle of all the enormous dogs, where she's forced to cower against the fence and wait for me to come rescue her. But yesterday, a girl named Carrie beat me to it. Millie licked her in thanks and I said, "Gosh, thanks so much" in thanks, and Carrie and I started to talk.

Carrie, it turned out, is a rock star at Hunt Oil in Dallas. I could feel God smiling as Carrie and I exchanged contact information and she offered to do a little nosing around to see what positions there I might be qualified for. Only God could arrange such an oil exec/oil and gas girl meeting at a dog park! As Millie and I got in the car, happy and dusty, I thought about how God really does have all this under control. Not that we doubted. It's just awesome to see some evidence.

So I'm back to knitting and Samantha Brown as I wait for the phone to ring and emails to come back. Good news? There are a handful of new HouseHelpers in the Freeman House Shop. Oh, and now I know I have to go to Crete before I die. Samantha was there this week and I loved every minute of it.

The weekend already? Happy weekend, everyone. -Brin

19 comments:

Feisty said...

That's awesome :) If you go to the White Rock park, I might see you around. Good luck with the hunt!

Vee said...

That's right! Keep your chin up and your grin shined! Everything...every single thing...will work out just as it should as long as we yield our lives to Him.

Lochlanina said...

Don't you just love getting encouragement :D ... Odd little things that just happen, just for you, just so He can tell you He's there and He's taking care of you. I love when God does that!

Kelly said...

very cool! praying for that call. :)

Terri Steffes said...

I believe there are no accidents but only miracles.

Awesome.

I love my helpers although one of my helpers is acting like a doily for awhile.

Becky K. said...

You certainly are making the most of you job hunting adventure and waiting time. Hope you get the job of your dreams.

Rosa said...

I'sm so glad for you! I'm still praying for you. (perhaps you might send up a prayer for my daughter who moved recently and is having trouble finding a job as well.)
And. . .
Dog parks are the greatest! :D

Rebecca said...

Hi Brin,
Good luck with job search. Pretty cool how God lines things up for us, huh? :) I ordered a set of your house helpers this week, A Day By the Sea. Can't wait to get them in the mail.

Donna said...

Yep, God is truly in control. Keep on smiling.

Elenka said...

That seems like a really good sign......what a chance meeting that was ! Millie's probably your good luck charm.

Lulu said...

have a happy weekend..

Kathi D said...

Isn't it nice when we are reminded that we are not the ones in control? It's too bad that we usually only get those reminders in seemingly the worst moments, but still.

Just A Girl said...

God's funny like that. Just when you think all is lost He sends hope to steady you.

Just A Girl said...

God's funny like that. Just when you think all is lost He sends hope to steady you.

Betsy said...

I LOVE Samantha Brown!! She has the best job ever! :)

Hope you get some offers soon!

Joy said...

I just read about you packing up and moving--you're going to continue your blog, aren't you? You have to! Sad about Freeman House, but at least you took a chance, you won't regret that you did something different. God bless.

Jen and Rich Johnson said...

Nice blog - what a breath of fresh air. Will enjoy following your efforts with the job search - keep knitting!

Andreapgn said...

Weird how things relate somehow, uh?
All the best!

Sara Warren said...

And you can stop by and see us on your way to and from Crete!