Sunday, February 3, 2008

For the Love of the Game

Maybe it's because I grew up a Daddy's girl. With three brothers. In Texas. Or maybe it's because I was around it all the time, me being the granddaughter and niece of coaches. Or maybe I got it from my Great Grandmother Elizabeth, who was known throughout Hunt County for her chicken and dumplings, her coconut pie, and her loyal support of the "'boys".

Regardless of the reason, here's the fact: I love football. I'm a Dallas Cowboys fan to the bone. And even though our defense broke my heart and we're all watching the Super Bowl from home this year, I'll still be watching. Because it's all about the game, baby. All for the love of the game.

And the cheese dip. Let's not forget the Texas Cheese Dip:

1 lb. Breakfast Sausage
(
J. C. Potter is king around here. Even Troy's on the website.)
1 small onion, diced
1 can Rotel tomatoes (Hot)
1 lb. Kraft Velveeta, cut into 1 inch cubes


This couldn’t be easier. Brown sausage and onions together in skillet over medium-high heat. (I use reduced-fat sausage so there's no need to spoon off fat. But if you need to, certainly do that here.) Drain can of Rotel tomatoes and stir into sausage and onion mixture. Reduce heat to low and add Velveeta, stirring every 5 minutes or until melted. Garnish with cilantro, pico de gallo, or chopped jalapeno. Serve with tortilla chips.

Of course, this can also be done in the crockpot. Brown sausage and onions as directed and dump all ingredients into a crockpot set on low. Stir occasionally. Serve when melted.

Love this dip. It's truly what we Texans dig into. I'm serving this up tonight at Freeman House alongside Bacon Wrapped Chicken Tenderloins with Avocado Ranch Sauce, oven-grilled pizzas, and brownies. Should be a great night.

Wish you were here. Although you're probably glad you're not considering we'll actually be watching the game and I'll be as responsive as those sports-loving husbands on the Home Depot commercials.

And just when you thought you knew me. *wink*

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know I'm just across the Red River in Okieland and we love our Cheese Dip, too. But I've never thought of cooking it in a cast iron skillet. Mr. Mom is making wings, and I'm going in the kitchen right NOW to make this!

Mayberry Magpie
www.mayberrymagpie.com

Unknown said...

I'm not a fan of football but sure do understand your loyality, enjoy the game! The cheese dip does look like a winner! LOL

melissa said...

Please, please, please post the recipe for your chicken tenderloins and avocado ranch sauce . . . . it sounds amazing !!!!

It's lasagna, cheesy garlic bread, and devil's food chocolate chip bundt cake at our house tonite !

And because I'm in New York . . . . GO GIANTS !!!

Amy said...

We make it with hamburger instead of sausage and don't drain the RoTel. In a crock pot or heavy bottomed pan on the stovetop.

Man, I want cheese dip now....

Elenka said...

And because I'm from Maine....

GO PATRIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Betty said...

And because I am from Canada may the best team win!!
The food you're serving looks scrumptious!
Enjoy the game!

Vee said...

Oh no! I've got all the ingredients except for the tortilla chips. Wonder if saltines would work?

Even though I am faily certain that we're not rooting for the same team, I hope that you have a fun evening!

Gracie G. said...

That last part was funny! The dip looks yummy. My family up in New England always make a chili cheese dip for the Super Bowl and I'm sure that they all got together to watch it tonight.

Enjoy watching the game tonight!

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Is the Super Bowl today? LOL! Your cheese dip looks wonderful! I have a similar one but I've never tried sausage....NUM-O! :)

Jim Looby said...

I'm a die-hard(-ened arteries) fan of cheese dip, with pretty much anything in it.

I'm with Melissa -- post the recipe for chicken tenderloins and avocado ranch sauce. That sounds fantastic.

Anonymous said...

I make that dip, but with 2 cans of Hormel no-bean chili instead of the sausage. It is scrumptious!

I was raised in OK so I'm a 'Boys fan to the bone, too. At least the team that beat them was good enough to win the ultimate prize, ya know?