Sunday, May 27, 2007

Summer-Filled Veins

Summer has filled her veins with light
and her heart is washed with noon.
-C. Day Lewis

Click to enlarge the Southern Banana Pecan Muffins

I don't care what the little numbered squares on the calendar tell us, summer is here. It flooded the yard and seeped in underneath my door yesterday so, you see, I had no choice but to welcome it in. Besides, it brought with it hydrangeas the color of the sky. I can never say no to a guest who brings sky-blue hydrangeas as a welcome offering.

Now that it's here, everything at Freeman House tastes of it... summer, that is. I came home after a few days away to find swollen squash and plump strawberries waiting in the garden. The carrot tops are frilly and bright. The tomatoes are blushing. Grape vines are curling around fences and trees. Soon the kitchen will be full of bubbling pots of spaghetti sauce and jam and honeyed carrots. The oven will be popping out zucchini bread and cheese-covered squash and berry crisps. Oh early not-yet-summer, I love you so. I love even the thought of you.

Tomorrow marks the official opening day of many area fruit and berry farms. Isn't it wonderful? Before I am distracted by all the bright and shiny red, blue and black berries, I decided to use up bunches of 49c bananas and make my Southern Banana Pecan muffins. It's my own recipe that took ten years to perfect. Omgosh, are they wonderful. Actually, no... "wonderful" is almost an insult. They are too perfect for words. Pictures will have to do.

Okay. I'm off to enjoy my early summer. I have clothes on the line that need to come down before the mosquitoes wake...

(Update: The recipe, for Sherry....)

SOUTHERN BANANA NUT MUFFINS

Preheat oven to 350 F.
Grease a jumbo/six-cup muffin tin.

Using a wooden spoon, stir up:
2 c. flour
2 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
½ t. baking soda

In another bowl, cream with wooden spoon until light and fluffy:
½ c. shortening
3/4 c. sugar

To that mixture, add:
2 eggs
Beat well.

Now in separate bowl (I use a Pyrex cup), combine:
3 very ripe bananas, mashed
2 T. cream
1 t. vanilla

Alternately add banana mixture and bowl of dry ingredients into shortening/egg/sugar mixture, beating just until smooth after each addition. Stir in nuts. Turn into greased loaf muffin tin (or a loaf pan). Stir together ¼ c. brown sugar, 2 t. flour, and a small handful of chopped nuts. Sprinkle on top of muffin batter. Bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes for muffins, or 45-50 minutes for loaf, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pans and cool. Wrap and store overnight before eating. By the way, these muffins really come into their own after a day or so. They aren’t nearly as good out of the oven as they will be tomorrow.

You should know that I usually put my very ripe bananas in the freezer for a day or two before using them in this recipe. I put them out on the counter to thaw before mashing them. It’s what my Grandmother usually did. And… don’t throw out those banana peels. Cut them into 1-2 inch pieces and bury them just under the soil around your roses. They’ll love you and you’ll be an organic, rose-growing genius who serves amazing banana nut muffins. Clever you.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't suppose you'd share the recipe, would you?

Sherry

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Brin, back from the beach & I know you've been away too. Hope you had a wonderful time housesitting & you're probably happy to be back in your own bed now.

Those pics are just scrumptious looking & I wish I had a banana muffin right now, you hear me?!

We are desparately in need of rain, so hope ya'll are getting more than we are.

xo,
Rhoda

Anonymous said...

Summer is here, I agree! Except there are no fruits or tomatoes ready here unless the greenhouse counts.
I am waiting to see what you will have for the devotional tomorrow.

Adrienne said...

Ooh, those muffins look delicious! Wish I lived close enough to stop by to taste one and have a chat. Is the recipe a secret?

Brin said...

Hey gals! Thanks, thanks... Got to adore the nut muffin lovin! :D

No, the recipe isn't secret. It's just that... well, I'll have to make them again and actually MEASURE everything. You know how it goes... I use an old scoop for sugar, etc., so I'll need to get exact cups/teaspoons measurements for you. But I will. Promise! Sorry to tempt and tease... b

Beach Girl said...

Ahh, yes.....summer!

Vanessa

Unknown said...

Oh yes, yummy summer, the muffins look good too! lol