Monday, July 24, 2006

Hope and Hurricanes

So... um... gosh! A lot's happened since we were last here, huh? Israel's in a rapidly-escalating war. Campisi's was voted the 'Best Pizza in Dallas'. David Hasselhoff has quit drinking. The 2006 Hurricane Forecast is out. (And didn't we just get through watching all the lame celebrity Hurricane Katrina fundraisers on TV?)

Wow. Life happens so quickly. I really had no idea it had been so long since I last blogged. Seems like some days our rumps barely leave the bed before we're jumping (or falling... or crawling) back in. Do you ever have those deja vu moments when you open the refrigerator... or pull back the shower curtain... and feel like you were just there... even though it was yesterday? Yeah. Life comes at us pretty fast. Somedays it's downright exhausting.

But back to that 2006 hurricane forecast. It's crazy stuff. Did you hear that NOAA is predicting 8 to 10 Atlantic storms this year, with 4 to 6 of them being "major"? Oh goody. Hope those people down on the Gulf are building houses with wheels. And fast motors.

Seriously. Didn't we just start rebuilding? Didn't we just survive last year's hurricanes? And yet here comes a new season of storms. MSNBC was interviewing a guy yesterday who stared straight into the camera and shrugged, "What's the point of rebuilding? I'll just get blown away again this year."

Hmm. We've all felt like that at one time or another, haven't we? Maybe we didn't lose our homes to Katrina, but we've all lost something to an unexpected event or misfortune. Some of us have lost jobs. Others have lost spouses. Or finances. Or dreams. It's hard to rebuild after devastation - be it emotional or physical. It's hard to find the motivation to start again. And besides, sometimes we do wonder what the point is - I mean, won't we just get blown away again?

A good friend just lost her younger brother in a car accident. She's devastated. Any of us would be. And she's also wondering: where do I go from here? In a time where everything is subject to change... in a place where nothing is guaranteed... where do you rebuild? How do you start over?
Gosh. A hurricane victim... a grieving sister... you... me... we all have the same fears. And hearing their questions reminded me of a childhood Sunday School story. The one about the "wise man". Jesus told it like this: A wise man built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. A foolish man built his house upon the sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great CRASH!...

See, that's our answer. That's the difference. That's why - and where - we rebuild. That holds true in my life, anyway. Because, you see, when I've built my life... my home... my hopes... my dreams... upon the sand - upon the shifting shore of my wants and needs... on circumstance and come-what-may - the storms get me everytime.

But when I place my life... my home... my hopes... my dreams... upon "nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness" (as the old hymn goes), my house on the rock stands firm. It does not fall. It does not fail. Not ever. Why? Because its foundation isn't in this life. It isn't built on what happens today... or what will happen tomorrow. It isn't affected by hurricanes. Or death. Or lay-offs. Or divorce. It's firmly rooted in the promises and character of THE Foundation... of THE very Author and Finisher of my faith.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm just exhausted. But as Katrina victims still struggle with why to rebuild; as my grieving friend still struggles with how to rebuild; as others of us still struggle with where to rebuild - I just needed a reminder. A reminder that amid hope and hurricanes, there is some stability. There is a House on the rock that will stand firm....

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus’ Name.

On Christ the solid Rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand;
All other ground is sinking sand.
-Edward Mote, 1834

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Kyle reminded me about the donkey today and we had a big laugh. When are you going to write about that? Miss your stuff. Hope all plans are going great guns.

Love,
The Lumps