Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Garden Dreaming

Growing your own food is like
printing your own money.
-Ron Finley

I don't know about you, but I'm ready to start printing.

Do you garden? What are you thinking of planting this year? I'm doing onions, cabbage, and potatoes again, along with peas and beans, tomatoes, green veggies and cucumbers. Maybe corn. Is it time to start seeds yet? I'm ready... I'm so ready.... 

I've been watching Urban Farming Guys videos lately and thinking of our town. We have a community garden that grows vegetables for the local homeless shelter, the food pantry and veterans. My family helped out a little last year, mainly with prepping the garden and planting. My Dad brought his tractor out and got the garden ready for spring. He's cool like that.

But an urban farming movement? That's impossibly cool. Sign me up. One garden is never enough!

Wonder how much help we could be to each other if everyone who could, planted?

Excuse me. Sorry. Just garden dreaming out loud... 


5 comments:

Unknown said...

He is cool like that!!! I'm so ready for spring, planting and projects, hurry spring!!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful way to help your community. It's terribly cold where I am, but my thoughts are warm and gardeny. I'll plant sugar snap peas, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, and as many kinds of squash as possible.

rachel said...

Oh, wonderful!
I have so many plans for my little backyard plot this year. I'm going to try square foot gardening *and* shoot for some cottage garden prettiness, to encourage the bees and the butterflies.
And I'm going to invest in a really nice seat so I can sit out and work, once summer hits. In my part of the UK it's fleeting, so I'm going to enjoy it!

sherry said...

once upon a time we tilled a tiny garden patch. then our redwood trees grew tall and the tiny garden patch was no more. the end. :(
there's a community garden with garden patches for rent. bingo.

Brin said...

I love your comments! Thank you, gals. :) I'm always so interested to see what others have going... or not going, as the case may be! Does this make me nosy... or just curious? Heehee. -Brin