Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Remembering Blueberry Hill

I'm growing blueberries in clay pots this year. As I search and pray for an old farm place to renovate, I find I'm impatient to start it all: berry patches, orchard, gardens- all of it. So blueberries in a pot will have to do. And you know what? They're doing just fine!

This is a Climax blueberry, which crosses with a Tiffblue blueberry, which is perfect for blazing, humid Texas summers. They're also perfect for muffins, cobblers, jam, ice cream sauce and salads. Heck yes.

Each day as I water them, I can't help thinking of Blueberries for Sal. Do you know this book? A teacher read it to me ages ago, and my older brain still projects images of the beautiful pictures of Blueberry Hill every time I glance at the blue-dotted bushes. In fact, I think I need to re-read it this week....

Wishing you a Blueberry Hill kind of day. Happy Tuesday!

Oh! My first job was on a blueberry farm. Read about it here. 
 And make my favorite Blueberry Breakfast Bars with this recipe.

6 comments:

Betty said...

Brin, this post made me smile. But I'm thinking if I had a pot of blueberries growing they would never get to a muffin..they would all go straight to my mouth:)

Karen Deborah said...

I am going to have to try that type. Did you find them local or order? Every time I have tried to plant blueberry bushes here they die. It's a bummer because we grow a lot of other plants and shrubs fine. I love blueberries!

sherry said...

blueberries for sal..
when my daughter was small we used this book as a go-along for school. five in a row is an academic guide drawing from fictional books. wonderful memories..

http://fiveinarow.com/before-five-in-a-row/

Patsy from Illinois said...

I just found your blog again after a few years. I used to read it when you were at Freeman House. I wish you all the blessings with your marriage and hope you can find another "country" Freeman House. Give the dogs some scratches from me. Glad to see Millie is doing well.

Unknown said...

I've heard blueberries do really well in pots, good to know for sure! I'm looking forward to new adventures as you find your forever farm!

Anonymous said...

I swoon for blueberries too. I had to laugh when you mentioned your impatience. We found our place after years and years of searching. We were so impatient then, and now i feel like I don't know where to start. Starting means deciding on something is going to be permanent, eh? :). Good luck to you both in your search. Fondly, Whit