Sunday, December 9, 2012

Finally, A Home

She woke each morning with a glow of hope,
not because a new dream had been born,
but knowing the one she carried
inside her heart would last.
-Jodi Hills, An Imperfect Life

 
The cottage-cabin. It arrived early Friday morning, before the fog settled and the sun chased the drizzle away. The days I've hoped on for so long are here. It's time to turn this tiny, shell-of-a-building into a special little home.

I'm showing you the before because we will hardly recognize this little wooden thing when we're through. It will have heavy paned windows, reclaimed trim, a screen door, a porch, some paint, stone steps and walkway, fireplaces, and a garden with a very special front garden gate. Don't forget lots and lots of trailing roses and delicate herbs and sweetly-scented flowers. Just you wait. It's going to be a dream...

No. Wait. 

It already was.

Are you ready to get busy? We have a lot to do here! First off: the inside, and how to fit it all in. I've just downsized from 1,500 square feet to 356 square feet, after all. We're going to have to get creative if we're going to fit all our books, yarn, dishes, clothes, paintings, furniture, and animals in there!

Here's to the dreams we carry, lasting. -Brin

16 comments:

Impera Magna said...

How wonderful! How exciting! May all your dreams come true!!!!!

:)




Susan said...

can't wait Brin until you begin to add your truly magic touch - so glad you're bringing us al along for the ride.

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Wow! a downsize for sure. I envy your dream and excitement! It will be spectacular!

I love you photos...so mystical and pretty. Pat

Adrienne said...

Such a sweet start to a wonderful, new home. I can't wait to see more!
~Adrienne~

Unknown said...

I kinda thought that was the route you were going, and it's perfect!! If anyone can make this shell into a home, it's you!!! I'm so excited for you and it sits in the perfect spot, already feels like home! I'm so happy for you, when do we begin!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so, so excited for you brin! Can't wait to read more! X

Vada said...

I went to Ikea today and as I walked through one of the mock-up three hundred and something square homes, I thought, "I could do this". I am so excited for you! Congratulations!

Gardenbug said...

Stumbled upon your blog while looking for a cranberry jalepeno jam recipe. Not only found a recipe, yours, but your interesting blog! Can't wait to watch the transformation of your adorable home! Congrats.

vintage girl at heart said...

aweee i am so happy for you!

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

It will be charming--and all yours! So what will be the first project you tackle? I want to see inside!
V

Anonymous said...

It is perfect! You will make it absolutely amazing. I can't wait to see it as it transforms.

Christine said...

I'm so happy for you! Can't wait for all the exciting projects you'll be working on. It's a dream come true!

tara said...

sounds wonderful! can't wait to follow along with the progress...:)

Rebecca said...

It will be wonderful, Brin. Can't wait to see what all you do with your special place.

Lulu said...

oh its lovely already...I love small and comfy homes...

Betty said...

So exciting Brin!!