Friday, April 27, 2012

Faith and Cornfields


I had a blowout about 3 hours from home yesterday while on the way to a super-rush, highly stressful work project.
 
Yeah.
 
Yesterday evening, tire repaired, emergency work completed, and utterly worn out, I was driving to spend the night with family I rarely see. When I passed this cornfield, I pulled the car over.
 
Sometimes, when you have a bad day, you just have to pull the car over at sunset and walk through a cornfield.
 
As I walked toward the sinking sun, fingertips brushing corn stalks, I repeated this verse over and over. (And it's almost as if I could feel the words escape from deep inside me and push themselves into the soil.) Let the record show it's one of my favorite, and one of the most beautiful expressions of faith I believe was ever written. Psalm 27:13 says I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
 
I will see... I WILL see... I am CONFIDENT I will see... I will see Your goodness, Lord. With my eyes. Down here. Maybe not today. Or tomorrow. But one day we WILL see Your goodness here. I can't wait, God. My soul waits to see the goodness and glory of the Lord. I remain confident. I will see it, God...
 
Sometime, when you have a bad day, try walking through a cornfield at sunset and planting the faith and hope of that.
 
It works.
 
Happy weekend.  <3 Brin



(And to the owner of this cornfield, whoever and wherever you are, I apologize for wandering around uninvited. I promise I didn't damage anything... and I prayed for your crop and your family. May God abundantly bless your harvest!)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brin, this verse (& psalm 27 in full) has given me such comfort recently. Im working on memorizing (a wise friend once suggested picking psalms according to your age as a start to memorisation. Im 27) I've been coming through some health issues and to be able to say "i remain confident of this..." is such a good calming prayer.
I am jealous of your cornfield! (UK=not so much ;)

Linda Z said...

So much beauty and hope in this verse. :) I love that you prayed for the farmer's crops.

Linda Z said...

So much beauty and hope in this verse. :) I love that you prayed for the farmer's crops.

Adrienne said...

As I read your blog I remembered something a dear friend shared with me during a particularly difficult time in my life. She told me how she quotes Scripture as times. She quotes the Scripture and then goes back, repeats it again emphasizing the first words, then repeats with emphasis on the next word and on and on. Over and over until she has emphasized each word individually. Then she is so blessed she's moved into a positive place of confidence in the Lord.
~Adrienne~

Unknown said...

You are blessed to see the power of a simple cornfield, this is perfection!! Love that verse!

Anonymous said...

needed to read this ..

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

This really made me smile.

My daughter's friends often ask her why her parents don't move to New England (from the Midwest) to be nearer grandchildren.

She tells them her mother cannot live anywhere there are no cornfields. :)

cheryl said...

So happy to see you back!

shoegirl said...

Beautiful post. I love that you find beauty and inspiration in the simplest of things. XO.