Monday, February 28, 2011

Getting Settled in Denial

I'm still painting. Still tearing open cardboard boxes, gasping or squealing when I find what's inside. Still washing and wiping dishes, studying cabinets, arranging each clean bowl and sparkling glass.

I should be in a hurry. With oil prices climbing everyday, folks in my line of work are in demand. I need to get back to work. I have to get back to work. But the idea of leaving home, once again, and driving to some far off state and sitting on a hotel bed and flipping on a fastened-down TV makes me cry. Right now the booming wells are in Colorado, Wyoming, the Carolinas. I don't want to travel. I want to be home.

(But how blessed am I to have a career? Thank you, God, for blessing me.)

I'm planting my garden, buying bananas, setting up my sewing machine, and plunking buds in vases as if I never have to leave. Silly me.

Silly, in denial, me.

13 comments:

samantha said...

It isn't silly, it IS the force of faith, even in the little things that refresh us...

Sue@CountryPleasures said...

I'd feel the same way, but home always waits for us, not silly at all.

Susan said...

"hope is faith holding out it's hand in the dark" - Georges Iles

and for some "faith is hope"

glad you're back & settling in once again,
you have a gift xo Susan

Terri said...

Hello sweet girl.

I am so glad you are working again. I know that is good for you.

I am seeing signs of spring and when I do, I think of you. I don't know why but I think it is a lovely connection!

Sherry said...

i have read you for over 3 years now and your life is a joy to read have laugh and cried with you, you every find yourself in Souther Calif. please look me up no need for a lonely hotel room. i spoke with you once and was going to order the birds plate :( i wonder if you can still get them? Mrs. C.

Anonymous said...

I know it's not home for you, but I hope you will feel at home when you make your way to the Carolinas (my home state is the North variety)!

: )
Em

Martha said...

It sounds lovely, settling in...
HOWEVER:
My brother lives in Colorado, if you ever get near Creede or Southfork, stay at his lodge: Ute Bluff Lodge...
Its great, you can get a sweet little cabin or a room...
Traveling Mercies..

Randi said...

Maybe you could take your sewing machine and create while you sit in those old hotel rooms. :)

Bobbie said...

I feel the same way and I just have to drive 20 minutes each day.

Patricia said...

Happy Unpacking! Hope you are able to savor each and every moment!

cheryl said...

I travel for my job also - and I am also so tired of hotel rooms and missing my home. But then, I slap myself back to reality and remember how grateful I am to have this job. (but I still can't help missing home)

Sissy said...

If you come near the Carolinas, you've got a friend!

Cindy said...

If you are coming to WY and will be stuck in a motel, please contact me...I would love to meet you....I have read your blog for about 8 months now and really enjoy it.