Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Stuffy Sam and the CPSIA

I am eleven years older than my baby brother, Sam. Several years ago, when Sam was in his awkward preteen years and getting braces and taking medicine for acne, I used a sock to make him a funny-looking bunny. We named the bunny "Stuffy Sam", and it was presented, along with a homemade book titled The Adventures of Stuffy Sam, early one Saturday morning. We sat together in his room and I read him the book aloud and he laughed at my goofy-looking bunny and his silly adventures.

Adventures like Stuffy Sam traveling to Greece to eat olives and read The Iliad. And Stuffy hitchhiking to Florida to learn to tie sailor's knots so he could make his own boat out of waffles. Stuffy Sam is quite the hilarious sock bunny, and human Sam still keeps him above his bed. And human Sam is getting ready to head off to college this fall.

That's why I'm saddened - no, angry - that the U.S. government has taken steps to make it illegal for me to give Stuffy Sams - or any homemade toy - to the children I adore. If this Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) isn't stopped or stricken, our children will never know handmade gifts, local crafts or second hand clothes. Forget knitting baby hats for your friend's son. Forget Grandfathers making doll houses for their granddaughters. Our collective crafty hands will be tied, and our families, not to mention our businesses!, will suffer.

So I'm getting involved. Reading up. Calling Washington. I'm trying to do my part.

It's what Stuffy Sam would want, I think.

9 comments:

Rebecca said...

I agree Brin. This is way over the top. Granted there is a place for reasonable safety and prudence, this particular path is just ridiculous. Scary even. I'll be writing my congressman about it. Stupid stupid stupid. I'd like to post these links to my blog too if you don't mind.

Vee said...

I signed a petition supporting crafters' rights. Some of this legislation is so bizarre that it's unbelievable. And this is just one of many.

Stuffy Sam is so cute. I'm sure that he did the trick back then and he may still do the trick.

(The post about the line from Showers of Blessing...just wanted you to know that it affected me a lot. I even dreamed about it. Anyway, there are a few of us in this boat and we're all praying. My husband reminds the Father that He tells earthly fathers not to exasperate their children so please don't exasperate us. Suppose that will help?)

Donna said...

Ok, So Brin if I make, say a boo boo bunny out of a washcloth to give to all the kids in my grandson's class that is against the law now? I don't understand what this legislation is about. Can you break down it so we can understand? Thanks.

Lochlanina said...

Thank you for sharing that link, Brin. It makes me sad for our nation to realize just how far we have slid towards (or past) Orwell’s 1984.

Clearly politicians believe every hand-crafting American is salivating to follow the examples of pollutant-belching overseas manufacturers and slather their lovingly made creations with lead-based paints, melamine, or maybe mercury before selling them to unsuspecting consumers.

This makes sense, they simply want to protect the children (defined as anyone not holding elected office) by locking them into properly tested padded cells -- for their own safety, of course.

You can’t legislate common sense, but I sure wish they would pass a law saying politicians were required to have some common sense.

Kelly said...

i totally agree. this is so, so wrong.

also, praying for your job situation.

Terri Steffes said...

I haven't heard a thing about it but I have been making dolls for my hope to be granddaughter some day. I'll do my research and get involved, too. What would I be today without my grandmother's sock monkeys?

Unknown said...

I'm with you Brin, I just heard a little about this last week on another blog? I wanna know more so I can attack this stupid law and help save all stuffy Sams everywhere! Keep us posted and tell us how we cam help! Bless you!

Patsy from Illinois said...

Brin,
I am just checking to see if Freeman house is okay after the fire. Let us know okay?

Unknown said...

What has happened to personal responsibility (in all walks of life, for that matter)?!?! If I see something handmade online, at a craft fair, or wherever, I DO understand that if my child eats the paint off of this hand-painted toy train, it might not be such a good idea, but I do know that I am the one who let him chew on that toy in the first place. This initiative is completely bizarre, and I hope it doesn't go through. I wonder if there is anything us non-Americans can do...I'm going to have a look...