Sunday, February 22, 2009

Hometown Life: Blue Skies On My Mind

Meals are better in the country. They just are.

In the city, when I'm broke, I eat Ramen Noodles on the couch. In the country, when I'm broke, I eat a brown rice/orzo mix, tossed with organic broccoli from my garden. And I eat it sitting in the green, green grass, staring up at the blue, blue sky. Blue skies are, after all, always on your mind while in open spaces. (Follow that link and give a little listen to Blue Skies for the soundtrack playing in my head.)


When you're a small town/country girl, you pick the broccoli you grew, give it a squirt with the water hose, and eat it raw. Country garden broccoli tastes nothing like broccoli from the store. I'd rather eat grass than I would store broccoli. But, straight from the ground, broccoli tastes mellow and buttery and nutty. Perfect with rice, which you can buy here at the feed store for a few bucks a sack.

You can buy dog bones at the feed store, too. Those help keep the pup from eating your lunch.

Hometown life? Garden-fresh produce lunches, eaten on lush patches of green with soft, chocolate puppies under a blue, blue sky.

That's the life for me....

14 comments:

Kerri said...

i love love love jaymay! "grey or blue" is one of my favorite songs.

Vee said...

I've been enjoying the music...something about it reminds me of Innocence Mission.

Glad that you're eating what sounds like a nutritious and yummy meal...maybe. I'll take your word for it on the broccoli.

Runner Girl said...

Yum...off to listen to the song now. Happy Sunday!

Sissy said...

Love how pretty that looks sitting on your grass. Yum.

Jenn said...

Thanks for the new music to listen too. And I agree about homegrown broccoli. Your meal looks yummy, too bad my hubby isn't a rice fan :).
Thanks for having such a wonderful blog. Makes me miss TX even more though :)

Kriston said...

I have to say that you are a true inspiration to me. I love your blog spot. In fact it has inspired me to creat my own. I learned about yours from my mom who reads it constantly. Keep it up because we both love it!!!! If you get a chance take a look at mine and let me know what you think. You are more than welcome to give me any pointers. http://mysewingmysanity.blogspot.com

Seawashed said...

I've never tasted home-grown garden brocolli. I have tried to grow it, with no success. Same with cabbage. I have 6 cabbage in my winter garden now, that have not made their tight balls, like they are supposed to. They are just leafy. Can I eat that leafy stuff? I just don't know. It looks tough. So glad you are enjoying your brocolli. My puppy eats snow peas out of my garden. She loves them!

Unknown said...

Nothing compares to homegrown broccoli, it's the best! And living in a small town/country keeps you grounded and grateful. Peace, my friend!

Emma's Paper Patch said...

i have been visiting your blog for a little while now, and i thought i would come and say hi. your blog is just an inspiration to me. thank you. 'hearing' you talk about your garden sure makes me wish spring would get here faster than may! i have many memories of going out in my parents garden and eating fresh, sun-warmed peas right out of the pod. i can't wait until i can get in my garden.

Anonymous said...

Ahh... hometown, country life. There's nothing like it in all the world. :-)

Michelle said...

That life doesn't sound too bad actually. :) That bowl looks yummy too!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

All you shared is why this one woman is headed back to the country. Your entries bless me.
This is from someone much further down the path of life then you.
But I understand.

Erin Southwell said...

I grew up in a tiny town in Northern Michigan, right on Lake Michigan. Now I live in the suburbs outside a large midwestern city. I miss the country so much when I read your blog-it is like coming home to me. Thank you for your blog.

Sheila said...

Great blog, I will read it daily. So happy to have found you. I live in CA now, but grew up in the south, I miss the country. Now, I'm hungry after seeing that yummmmmy food!!!!