Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Long Winter

I've been out of town this week. Hope you didn't worry.

Babies. Babies! They're popping out everywhere. With no less than three friends due in the past or coming week, I've been knitting like crazy Aunt Purl. I managed to get several soft little washcloth sets done, as well as a few hats and tiny blue booties. Poor little January babies... the world must seem awfully cold to them.

Speaking of the cold, I read a most inspiring article today. An article that tweaked my thinking in the midst of The Long Winter (as I'm calling this one now). John Piper is a favorite, and his words on our "economic downturn" quieted my heart and had me whispering a soft amen. I needed those words. Something about this winter had me turning sour inside... maybe it was the bitter cold inside Freeman House. Or getting so sick. Or the frustration and despair over not finding a job. Could be the anniversary of my divorce, too. Whatever it was, I bathed in Piper's words and those scriptures like I was standing under their foamy fall. God will take care of us. God will take care of you. God will take care of me. He will. He just will.

And, as we know: no winter lasts forever.

I'm headed out of town again and away from the computer for several days. Hope you all are well and warm, wherever this finds you tonight. -Brin