Monday, February 4, 2008

Monday Moment: Shifting Shadows

Whatever is good and perfect comes
down to us from God our Father,
who created all the lights in the heavens.
He never changes or casts a shifting shadow.
-James 1:17


It's hard, sometimes, to believe that God holds a plan for us. A plan. A good plan. For our lives. Especially when we're living in shifting shadows.

I spent several minutes Saturday on my back underneath this tree. I was in a hammock suspended from its trunk. As the sun sparkled, then hid, I watched shadows shift and slide. The sun didn't move, but the scene around me did. No two moments were the same.

Our lives seem like that at times. At least mine does. Just as we grow accustomed to coping with one problem, another smacks us in the face. Just as we mend from one heartbreak, another does damage. Just as we grow accustomed to life as we know it, it all changes again. It's unsettling, hiding in shadows such as these. They're always moving. Always disappearing and reappearing. It's hard.

I suppose that's why, of all the qualities God holds in His hands, His immutability is the one I gravitate to the most. It's the one thing that draws me close and keeps me near. He doesn't change. He doesn't shift. He doesn't disappear when things get hard only to reappear when we're okay. He's held a plan for my life - for your life, too - since the beginning of time. And it hasn't changed. We haven't messed it up. Life hasn't rewritten the ending. He knew it all, and still made His plan anyway. The same God who created all the stars in the heavens purposefully created all those small, sparkly moments that tend to our hearts and birth our smiles. And He's always there. Right there. So as we squish our eyes shut and pray our promises... hope for help... ask for answers... we can be confident that He has it all under control. Somehow He does.

Even as I closed my eyes, lying in that hammock Saturday, I felt the shadows creep and slink over me. I wanted to shake my fist at the sky, or bail out and run to where the dark shapes wouldn't touch me anymore. But just as I did, the wind calmed and the scenery stilled. And I remembered.

So let the shadows play and dance. They're temporary, anyway; we needn't be afraid or worried. He still holds our lives in His hands. His plan is still on. Even now. Even today. Even as you take this breath. Even as we live among these shifting shadows....

8 comments:

Mama Lisa said...

Amen. yesterday we listened to a sermon on living the abundant life and how God truly wants us to have that...he wants to bless us. we just need to ask. thanks for your uplifting words. and please post your chicken bacon avacodo recipe. sounds so yummy.

Betty said...

I'm thanking God that He doesn't shift or change EVER!
Beautiful and encouraging thoughts Brin!

Unknown said...

So nice to have the Monday Moment back and with such insight, just perfect Brin, thank you!!

Anonymous said...

Well said. I'm having one of those days, living in the shadows. Your most eloquent post has helped renew my faith and to remind me that this too shall pass. Nothing is guaranteed but His love. Thanks Bree.

Linda Z said...

This post is so beautiful. Praise God for His faithfulness and immutability. Does this verse have anything to do with C.S. Lewis and "shadowlands?" Just made me wonder.

kali said...

just beautiful...

Anonymous said...

I have to apologize for renaming you in my response post (thank goodness I'm anonymous). I'm so embarrassed!!! Sorry Brin, I don't why in the world I wrote Bree instead of Brin. Must have desperate housewives on the brain. So sorry :(

Rebecca said...

Brin, I've lurked on your blog for a little while now, and can't even remember how I found it. Through someone else's blog link I suppose. But this particular post I think was for me. So I had to come out of the "shadows" and say thank you. I, and my family, are going through a dark, shadowy time right now, and your post was exactly what I needed at this moment, on this day. I thank God that he used you for me today.