Friday, March 23, 2007

Green Day (Belated)

Green is the prime color of the world,
and that from which its loveliness arises.
-Pedro Calderon de la Barca

If green is your thing, Freeman House is your feast this Friday. In celebration of the first week of spring, and in belated celebration of St. Patrick's Day, everything is exclaiming in green. Tucked away in sun-baked pots, the Greek Oregano grows....

...The grape vines trail along fences and around trees...

...The strawberries bloom (look... we have tiny strawberries!) and bush....

... The Woolly Lamb's Ear grows greener and fuzzier. (I think these are wonderful and am inclined to believe tiny angels sleep on them at night.)

... Even the lizards who play on birdhouses are appropriately, if belatedly, attired.

I feel so far removed from all the world's drama and decay today. It's hard not to be when you're surrounded by God's green handiwork and His verdant coat.

Even if your corner of the earth isn't green, of if you live in a concrete castle, we can still herald spring and mark this green day together...

So pull up a chair on the porch. Or grab a glass of iced tea and join me in front of the computer. Together we can soak it all in...

From me to you, happy spring, happy weekend... and happy green day! -B

8 comments:

Deb said...

What a beautiful corner of the earth you live in! We have lambs ears in our garden as well - (angels sleeping on them at night ...how precious). I have to say Brinn - I am still laughing about the Bacon (baking) powder though. :-)

Portrait of Peter said...

The abundance of "greenery" is therapeutic in itself.

A joy to see from your amazing photography.

Thank you for sharing, and thank you for your very kind comments - one always like to receive encouragement.

Blessings to you.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I really like your blog! I don't know if you're already aware of these people htt://pathtofreedom.com they live in Pasadena and have a blog about growing veggies, baking, knitting, things like that. You seem like you might be the type of person who might enjoy it! Lots of good info.

Manuela

Unknown said...

Lovin all the green, esp. the lizard!! I'm a big fan of Lambs ears too, aren't they just the neatest plant!

Portrait of Peter said...

I just had to come back and view the beautiful photo's and to read the quotation once again.

On such a beautiful day - as today here in Scotland - a joy to see that Spring awakens with her beauty.

I do hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Beemoosie said...

Love, love, love Green!!!!

Beach Girl said...

As a living historian, one of my areas of expertise is herbal medicines. Lamb's ear has always been a favorite plant of mine. When I do my "Nature's Pharmacy" presentation,I like to have some with me, as it was used as an early band-aid. To add to that, honey was used as we use Neo-sporin today.

Just a little tidbit that not many people know that I find interesting. Of course, I live in different time periods, so it doesn't take much to please me, LOL.

Thank you for sharing your neck of the woods with us!

Vanessa

Anonymous said...

I MISS GREEN STUFF!!! You don't know how much it affects you until you live in the desert and everything is BROWN!!!