Wednesday, May 31, 2006

All Roads Lead Home

I got lost today. I got turned around and misdirected and the sun was almost directly above me so I couldn't tell East from West and... (breath)... I was lost.

So I pulled over. I tried to access mapquest on my cell phone. Nope. Network unavailable. So I tried calling 411. "What city and state?" asked the recording.

Oh crap. "Ummm... somewhere in Kansas." I said quickly. "I need directions."

"Somewhere, Kansas?" the lady operator repeated, matter-of-factly.

"Never mind," I mumbled, and hung up.

Shoot. I hate it when I get lost in parts unknown. I was about to head back the way I came (again) when this rumbling old truck pulled up alongside me. The guy in the cab asked if I was looking for someplace.

"Yeah, I am," I said. "The highway?"

He laughed. Then he pointed. To this road. "That'll get you there," he said. "But they say all roads lead home, eh?"

Right. Nice man.

I took off down the road, and started kicking myself for being such an idiot... for just taking off this morning without directions or maps or printed-out mapquests or anything. As I drove, my thoughts suddenly turned to that part in the Bible where Abram takes off. To parts unknown.

The Lord said to Abram, "Leave your country... and go to the land I will show you. So Abram left." -Genesis 12:1, 4

Talk about parts unknown. Talk about being lost! That long road in front of Abram must have looked awfully intimidating. I can't imagine how that day must have played out for him- waking up, packing up, psyching himself up, and then... what? Walking. Just walking. Where to? He didn't know. When would he get there? He didn't know that, either. All he knew was that the Lord said: "Leave." So Abram "left".

But he left in faith. Abram walked down the road God placed him on secure in the knowledge that while he may not know where his road was leading, he knew the One who did. He supplied the faith, and God supplied ("... I will show you") the directions. (And by the way, Abram's road led home - home to the future nation of Israel.)

I made a mental note (and took a picture) while driving down this road today. I made a mental note to remind myself that while it seems like the roads in our Christian lives sometimes lead to parts unknown - or seem to lead nowhere, even - that's far from the case. God knows where we're headed. And if we'll supply the faith, our God will supply the directions.

After all, look at Abram. His bewildering road leading to parts unknown made sense in the end. And, as someone once told me when I got lost, "All roads lead home."

All the way my Savior leads me;
What have I to ask beside?
Can I doubt His tender mercy,
Who through life has been my Guide?
Heav’nly peace, divinest comfort,
Here by faith in Him to dwell!
For I know, whate’er befall me,
Jesus doeth all things well;
For I know, whate’er befall me,
Jesus doeth all things well.
-Fanny Crosby

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I have been feeling so lost and sad lately...walking down this road, seemingly going nowhere, wondering what on earth God is doing... Your words reminded me that He knows, and it's okay that I don't. And by the way, I ADORE that song by Fanny Crosby! :)

Anonymous said...



I wanted to thank you for this good read!! I certainly loved every bit of it. I have you saved as a favorite to look at new things you post…